Old Illtydians RFC | 1st Team 20 - 39 Pentyrch RFC | 1st Team
Samuel Scanlon
1 Try
Barry Topping-morris
1 Try
Tomos R N James
4 Conversion
2 Penalty
Morgan Rhys Williams
1 Try
Thomas Lloyd Marley
1 Try
William Paddison
1 Try

Match Report
19 April 2018 / Team News

Old Illtydians A

Match Report Pentyrch v Old Illtydians on 18th April


On a lovely clear sunny evening the Illts kicked off. Pentyrch gathered the ball and Joe Paddison put in a long touch finder to the Illts 22. The home side won the resulting lineout and cleared to touch at the half way. The game went back and fore for a few minutes until Pentyrch were awarded a penalty resulting in Tom James putting in a good touch finder. Pentyrch lost the resulting lineout and Old Illts were awarded a penalty for an offence at the next ruck. The home side failed to find touch and the ball was run back to the half way line and a penalty being awarded to Pentyrch converted by Tom James. The Illts were awarded a penalty from the resulting KO converted by outside half Michael Hiscox bring the scores level. At the KO the game fluctuated with both sides defending well. Pentyrch were then awarded two penalties in quick succession with both resulting lineouts lost. The game then became a little scrappy with both sides knocking the ball on or losing possession. Old Illts gained a penalty from one scrum lost by Pentyrch which was again converted by Michael Hiscox. The earlier pattern continued with the Illts conceding another penalty for indiscipline at a ruck which was converted by Tom James.

A series of handling errors by both sides followed and after some good handling by Pentyrch the Illts were awarded a penalty for pulling down at a lineout. Michael Hiscox kicked a very good touch finder and after some neat inter play Shaun Coughlin went over for a try which was converted by Michael Hiscox. At that point the score was 13-6 to the Illts.

Immediately following the KO Pentyrch went on the attack, the play broke down and following a maul Michael Hiscox was unlucky with a Drop Goal attempt. The ball was cleared up to the 10 yard line and following a lineout the Illts were penalised for an offence. Tom James then put in good touch finder to the Illts 22. Pentyrch won the line out and following a rolling maul Sam Scanlon crashed over for a well organised try which was converted by Tom James.

The referee blew for half time with the score even at 13-13. Both teams had put plenty of effort into the game with the big Illts pack making headway on a number of occasions.

Second Half

The second half began with Pentyrch making a couple of substitutions and following a moving maul the Illts no 11 was yellow carded for verbal indiscipline. Immediately Pentyrch started to move the ball more and following a lineout Morgan Williams was put into touch in the Illts 22 after some strong running. Pentyrch kept up the pressure for some minutes and were rewarded by a good try in the left hand corner by Morgan Williams converted by Tom James who was having a good game with the boot. The score was then 20-13 to Pentyrch.

Pentyrch ran the ball back strongly with Dylan Atkins to the fore following the KO and Pentyrch were rewarded with a penalty for a high tackle. Tom James put in another good touch finder and following a lineout and some elusive running by Morgan Williams Thomas Marley scored near the posts. Tom James converted making the score 27-13 to Pentyrch. At that point in the game Pentyrch were looking to run the ball at every opportunity but a little carelessness and narrowing focus allowed Illts to defend very well and snuff out Pentyrch opportunities.

Illts then came back more into the game and following two lineout losses by Pentyrch started to dictate a bit more control. Against the run of play Pentyrch moved the ball after a scrum with some good examples of straight running only to lose the ball in contact. The initiative then passed back to Illts and Pentyrch had to really defend well but following a number of phases the ball was turned over winning Pentyrch a penalty. Pentyrch were penalised at the resulting lineout after another good kick by Tom James which put them on the back foot. A further penalty to Illts resulted in a lineout near Pentyrch’s line. The lineout was won by Illts and despite good defence the ball reached the Illts second row (Josh Porter) who crashed over in style. The try was converted by Michael Hiscox making the score 27-20 to Pentyrch.

Illts then had had a serious injury to their no 8 and in the absence of a substitute were down to 14 men. Pentyrch continued to press and following a lineout Illts suffered another yellow card for vocal indiscipline and were down to 13 men for a short while. Fair play Illts stuck at it and defended well. Pentyrch upped their game and following two penalties opted to take a scrum near the Illts 22. The Ball was moved to the left, brought back to the right and after a neat scissors full back Joe Paddison scored near the posts.  The try was converted by Tom James.

With time running out Pentyrch safely fielded the KO and after forward movement by Dylan Atkins and Sam Scanlon the ball reached Barry Topping Morris who evaded two tacklers and scorched up the left wing to score in the corner. The conversion by Tom James was unsuccessful the first miss of the night.

Final Score.

The final score was 39-20. Illts deserve praise for not giving up especially after going down to 13 men.



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos