Pentyrch RFC | 1st Team 19 - 25 Pontyclun RFC | 1st Team
David James Ince
Try 1
Ethan Denty
Try 2

Match Report
19 May 2018 / Team News

Pontyclun Home

Pentyrch kicked off on lovely warm sunny afternoon and the ball was caught cleanly by Pontyclun who kicked up field and gained touch on the half way. The Tyrchs won the lineout only to knock the ball. Following strong pressure Clun were awarded a penalty which was kicked to touch. At the resulting lineout it was Clun’s turn to knock the ball on. The Tyrchs won the scrum and ran the ball into midfield only to knock the ball in to Clun hands and they took full advantage by running in for a try under the posts. The conversion was successful making the score 7-0 to Clun.

The Tyrchs were soon under more pressure from Clun as after catching the restart they advanced up the field in a series of mauls eventually making it into the Tyrchs 22. Clun regrouped and cleverly outfoxed the Tyrchs defence and scored another try near the posts. The conversion was unsuccessful so the score was 12-0 to Clun.

The Tyrchs were clearly rattled and the restart kick did not go 10 metres. However the Tyrchs won the resulting scrum and pressured the Clun defence resulting in a series of penalties and lineouts. Regaining some confidence the Tyrchs ran the ball having won the last lineout but conceded a penalty for holding on. Clun won the following lineout but lost the ball forward. The Tyrchs won the scrum and confidently moved the ball but were unfortunate to knock the ball on again. Clun won the scrum and kicked deep into the Tyrchs 22 with the ball running out into touch 10 metres from the Tyrchs line. The Tyrchs lost the following lineout and after moving towards the Tyrchs line in a series of mauls Clun scored a third try. The conversion was successful making the score 19-0 to Clun.

At the restart the Tyrchs were awarded a penalty and following an excellent kick to touch by Hywel Chatham won the resulting lineout allowing the ball to be moved into midfield. The Tyrchs won the ruck which followed and the ball was moved out to the left for David Ince to cut inside and score under the posts. The conversion was successful making the score 19-7 to Clun.

Immediately following the kick off Chris Moss made a good run through mid-field and after regrouping and winning the next ruck the ball was again moved to the left and Ethan Dente beat the last defender to run around under the posts. The conversion was successful making the score 19-14 to Clun.


Half time score Pentyrch 14 Pontyclun 19.


Clun kicked off for the second half and the Tyrchs now looking more like themselves  were awarded a penalty after pressurising the Clun defence. Hywel Chatham found a good touch and the Tyrchs won the lineout which followed. After protecting the ball the Tyrch forwards moved forward strongly into the Clun 22 and after some good work by Scanners the ball was moved to the blindside for Ethan Dente to receive a short pass and go over in the corner for his second try. The conversion from near the touch line was only very narrowly outside the posts. The score were then level at 19-19.

After the restart Clun were awarded a lineout which the Tyrchs contested and won the ball back. The ball was quickly moved into midfield and with the Clun defence in confusion the ball reached the left wing and only a great tackle by the Clun no 7 saved a try. The ball was spilled into touch at the tackle and after winning the lineout Clun moved the ball infield and put in a long kick into the Tyrchs 22. It was the turn of the Tyrchs defence to be under pressure which resulted in Clun being awarded a penalty. Clun missed the kick to touch and the Tyrchs immediately ran the ball back but Clun managed to get a hand in the way of a pass and the Tyrchs were awarded a scrum. Play moved back and fore for the next ten minutes with both sides knocking the ball on or making other mistakes. The crowd were getting restless and the players a little frustrated. After a missed kick to touch the Tyrchs ran the ball into the Clun 22 only to concede a penalty allowing Clun to clear their lines. Clun found a good touch finder at the half way and following two penalties and lineouts were camped on the Tyrchs line for a number of minutes. Resolute defence by the Tyrchs kept Clun out and eventually Clun knocked the ball on in contact. Clun sensing a chance to score pressured the Tyrchs scrum and it was only after the Tyrchs were awarded a penalty that they managed to clear the danger. However the Tyrchs conceded a scrum at the following lineout for not throwing the ball in straight and were immediately back under pressure. Clun attacked strongly and were awarded a penalty for a tip tackle which was converted successfully. The score was then 22-19 to Clun.

The Tyrchs sensing time was running out attacked the Clun defence and George Harries put in an excellent kick deep into the Clun 22. Clun defended the lineout well and cleared the ball up to half way. Back came the Tyrchs and with only a few minutes left were awarded scrum 10 metres from the Clun line. The scrum was won and the ball moved through a number of forwards hands before Clun were awarded a penalty for obstruction. Clun took the opportunity to clear the ball up to half way, won the resulting lineout and were awarded a penalty which was kicked successfully. The Tyrchs quickly restarted the game only to concede a penalty. Clun ran the ball out and the referee whistled for full time. 


Final score Pentyrch 19 Pontyclun 25.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos